Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Last day

Today was filled with gathering things - both memories and Hawaiian goods - during my last day in the islands. I really had a good time while here. Although parts of it were stressful - most of it was great spending time with Gam. She really is such an amazing woman - and I hope I am that lucky to live such a full life as she has. I hope she lives another 20 years! She is so strong - and sweet.

I visited my ancestors graves today. I have been riding past the cemetary every day - up Nu'unau drive. Today I decided it best to pull over and pay my respects to my ancestory. I actually got pretty emotional and welled up with tears as I sat there in full Gregg's gear. I noticed that the majority of them lived long lives - in the upper 80's to 90s. Amazing. I wanted to leave something out of respect - but didn't have any flowers or anything to leave. Maybe next time.

I forget if I mentioned this in a previous post - but I asked Gam where she would want her remains to go. She said everytime she started to think about it she would just get distracted and not complete her thoughts. She used to think she would be buried on the farm that she grew up on in Ontario. But then that changed. So I'm not sure where she will want to go.

Another thing I want to post before I forget - one night we had a crazy thunderstorm. She said when she was a girl she used to be so scared of thunder. Anytime she heard it she would beat feat home. There were some neighbors of hers that were working in the fields when a storm came through. They were on top of a pile of hay with pitch forks and got struck by lightening - it even got their horse who was tied into their wagon. Ever since then she still remembers being frightened as a little girl and running for home to hide in her bed.

We went to Ala Moana today - twice. Once in the morning which instantly lifted Gam's spirits despite it being cloudy. It was super chilly and damp at Nuuanu so a trip out of the house is just what the doctor ordered. Then we came home, had some lunch and then I went on one final ride out to Hawaii Kai. Once I got home Gam asked to go to the beach again - to which I was game. We headed down right before the thick of traffic. We sat on the beach for 2.5 hours and chatted about this and that. She thinks she might ask Denise to take care of her. She feels like she doesn't have anywhere else to go. All of her friends have either moved away or died. We talked about the different options - including different homes. She realizes that something is going to have to change.

She thanked me for helping her - it makes me smile thinking of the sweet way she said it. "You must love me more," she stated matter of factly. I told her that if she could she would do the exact same thing for me. We both giggled.

I'm sad to leave her - I would love to come back after the race season - say in October to visit her again. Her eyes lit up when I said that. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home