Monday, March 13, 2006

Day 2

March 12, 2006

After a restless night’s sleep I woke up this morning to the tropical birds chirping away. It took me a minute to catch my bearings – and sometime in the middle of the night I felt some strange objects in the bed. This morning I pulled out a necklace, bobby pin and dental floss – all tucked under the pillow for safekeeping. I smiled to myself – that Gammy.

I was bound and determined to find an Internet connection this morning and after speaking with Ryan found a couple of spots from his navigation in Washington – which turned into a bust for me. I couldn’t find either spot and when I finally did it of course was closed. So rather than circle around any longer I pulled into reliable Starbucks for a cup of joe and a connection.

Around 9 I headed to the hospital to visit with Gam and see how she was doing. She was delighted to have some company seeing as the nurses aren’t interested in keeping her company and entertaining her. The doctor came in while I was there and explained the test results from Friday. The first of which confirmed she did have a stroke – evidenced by her slurred speech and lack of mobility. While doing the MRI they also found evidence of a brain aneurysm – potentially an older one that was about the size of a pea. The danger with aneurysms is that they could grow and then burst – causing massive bleeding in the brain and death. He asked Gam if she would want to undergo surgery or if she wanted to continue living her life as is. The surgery is risky – in that they would have to cut into her scull and remove the aneurysm. This could be successful but if not then it could potentially leave her as a vegetable. She opted to just continue living her life as it is and if it’s her time to go – then it’s her time. “I’m not afraid of dying.”

We then received a series of calls from Keoki wondering how she’s doing and making sure things were all right. At first the doctor said she would probably have to go to a rehabilitation center for a couple of weeks so she can work on getting her strength back and helping her be less dependent on another being. I talked with Keoki about this and said her house would need some help – perhaps a widening of the doorways and installing a ramp to the front door. Stairs are pretty sketchy at this point. He explored the possibility of having Shannon come take care of her – why not pay a family member instead of some stranger – but I also reminded him of the baby and that he could get under Gam’s feet and make her fall. Speaking of which – she is not aware that Gam is in the hospital at all. She hasn’t called or made an effort to speak with her. We’ll see if she turns up.

Also Kuulei said she would come and visit Gam today and didn’t call or show up. Strange. I thought of all the family members Kui would be reliable and participate in Gam’s rehab. It’s funny how when someone needs help he or she is quick to ask for it but when it comes time to reciprocate – they disappear. I’m sure she got busy today – but who knows. You’d think she’d call.

I left right around noon to get some much-needed exercise for the day and pedaled down to Diamond Head. It felt really really good to get the heart pounding. I don’t mind hanging out with Gam during the day so long as I get a healthy dose of physical activity. Without it – I’ll go stir crazy. Should Gam be released to come home – I need to make sure they assign a caseworker to come over and relieve me of my duties for 4 hours a day…or I will burn out. Mom told me to be firm with the doctors if need be and make sure they assign someone to come. We shall see what tomorrow holds when the doctor and the caseworker get together and hash out a program.

In the meantime – my hair is not getting any calmer. This humidity is wrecking havoc on my mop and never before have I had such a mop of helmet hair on my head. I wish I could move my scalp back and forth like some people can and show off my talents. Oh well – maybe I’ll work on that tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home