Sunday, March 12, 2006

Oahu

March 13, 2006
I flew into the islands this morning after a two hour delayed departure due to the flight crew coming in late last night. For the first time I didn’t have weeks or months of anticipation for getting here – suddenly I found myself with a few hours to make sure I had everything together and then I found myself Honolulu bound to be with my grandmother.

My cousin Kuulei and her daughter Chalei came to the airport to pick me up and Chalei and I squeezed into the front seat seeing as my bike box wouldn’t fit into the trunk. I under-estimated the sheer size of the beast – which pales in comparison to some of my fellow teammates boxes. We made it safe and sound and Kui had to head to work at Winward mall this evening. She left me with Gam’s keys and instruction on how to get there…. Just down the street from the Pali. I jumped in the car immediately not wanting to wait another minute before going to visit Gam.

The moment I walked into her hospital room I was releaved. There she was – still the same Gammy as I left her but this time adorning hospital garb. Her hair was neat and shiny as usual and her spunk still with lots of kick in it. The differences were her speech. She slurs her words now and is extremely weak to walk. Her right hip has been an issue for many years now and as a result makes her leg off kilter and her foot looks like it was crunched under a ATV, as it was about 20 years ago and never fixed. She’s frail – but I was prepared for that. And she is so ready to get out of that hospital… she insisted that the doctor told her she could go as soon as I showed up. I was ready to take but after conversing with the nurse, Gam was in no shape to leave. She has to wait till Monday to come home. And even so, bringing her home will mean a full time care position. I am happy to do it – but I had no idea that’s what would be required of me. I talked to Mom a little bit about it and it seems like both she and Keoki are ready to look into full time care for Gam… both are out of the country for a couple of weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home